Monday, October 3, 2016

Could we please stop using the word "retarded"?

I often find myself the victim of my own mouth. I've never been afraid to stand up for what is right nor have I ever been afraid to speak on behalf of those who are afraid of reprimand for their opinions.. With that being said, I always tend to look at each situation that presents itself and over analyze, overthink, and often take the delivery of what is said out of context. In saying all this, could we all please agree that it is time to stop using the word "retarded"?

I am upset so don't shoot me for expressing my opinion but it is time to grow up and clean up our language. I admit in the past I've used the word in the wrong context but if I've learned anything in the last 17 months it's that the word "retarded" hurts. Period. I cringe every time someone uses that word in my presence. It is downright rude and disrespectful, regardless of what you're trying to say. It is hurtful, careless, and you may not even know you're doing it.

Until you're faced with your own battles regarding disabilities and adversity you won't know how deep words cut a person. I remember that age old saying "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me".. This is a lie. And I pray that none of you will ever face a battle of being disabled, having a disabled child, or that your family won't face adversity. Life is too precious.


"Retard", "Retarded", or any like word in your vocabulary hopefully will leave your vocabulary after reading this letter. It is my sincerest prayer that we all begin to speak with a diverse tongue and we become mindful of how much pain our friends and family may cause without knowing by having a loose mouth.




In other news, we have successfully made it the last month with no colds, illness or trips to the doctor - yay Rhett. Noah has become use to his school schedule and homework seems to excite him, for now. Levi has begun to regrow his hair and he seems to talk more and more each day. We brought home a new puppy the day Mary's Grandmother passed away - I was unable to say no when she was so sad. Mary's sister was wed over the weekend and we enjoyed seeing friends and family.


Life is getting back to the routine for all of us. Rhett has begun Occupational Therapy again and we are hoping to see him really begin to walk soon as well as begin to control the muscles in his mouth. He can say "Mama", "Dada", and has said "bread" one time. It is definitely a blessing to finally hear his voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment